A pound of broken Talavera tiles covers an area of approximately 0.33 sqf.
Talavera tiles are NOT frost resistant, they should not be used on outdoor installations with potential freezing temperatures.
Mexico is world reknown for its skillful artisans in a wide variety of fields. Mexican writer Alberto Ruy Sanchez Lacy called Mexican tile a "chosen skin". Tiles have embellished numerous public and private spaces thoughout Mexico. A glimpse anywhere in Mexico, particularly in the central states, shows the widespread use of talavera tiles decorating a broad range of spaces from kitchens, fountains, facades, interiors of luxurious hacienda homes to churches. It is through traditional artifacts, such as handcrafted tiles, that one can perceive an artisan’s sensibility, and creativity. Handcrafted ceramic tile is a rooted cultural heritage in Mexico, since its practice of making it began in the late sixteenth century, around 1570 and 1573. Mexican ceramic tiles have actively played a distinguished role as an important utilitarian and decorative element in Mexican architecture.
Mexican tile is functional, beautiful, and practical, it provides a long lasting wall or surface that is easy to care and maintain. You can install Mexican tiles in virtually any area you want to enjoy their warm and beauty.
The tiles are made from clay dug out of the ground and fired to a temperature at which the clay undergoes chemical changes and becomes permanently hard. Then the tile is glazed and decorated by hand, and fired once again to give it its final and lively finish. Its physical characteristics make Mexican tiles particularly attractive and distinctive. Mexican tiles are concave (not perfectly flat). They are characterized as unique, irregular, functional, and expressive.
• All interiors of residential and commercial wall applications.
• Light-use residential flooring as accents or as a border to define an area.
• Outdoor use in areas where freezing temperatures are not common. Tiles are not frost proof.
• Moist areas where tiles are not submerged in water.
• Tiles and grout must be sealed with a penetrating sealer that will form an invisible barrier resistant to moisture and stains.
• Outdoor use is subject to climate conditions and method of installation.
• Not recommended on outdoor installations with potential freezing temperatures.
|Pounds per Square foot||
|Care and Considerations||• Clean with mild cleanser and damp cloth, do not use abrasive cleaners.|
• Some glazes such as matte colors are acid sensitive. Do not use cleaners with an acid base since these may cause discoloration.
• Note: Some tiles may not be broken. We sell them as material appropiate to break since they may have chipped corners or they may come from an odd batch. Colors and variety of broken tile will vary upon availability.
|Installation||• For Installation Recommendations refer to our Installation Guide|
These are beautiful quality tile pieces that are a lot of fun to play with. I am making a table top with the pieces combined with 4 complete tiles. The colors are fabulous and there are quite a few larger pieces in each assortment.
My wife loves the colors and patterns they sent. She is going to decorate pots for planter w/ the tiles and give them as gifts.
Very pleased with the tile pieces that I received. A good mix of different styles and colors.
I love the tile pieces. Very colorful and good quality. But as another reviewer said the amount in a pound is small, It helped me to order more to do my project. The order was shipped out very fast and safely packed. Thank you for having just what I needed.
I am making tiled garden art and these tile pieces are wonderful! Great collection of patterns and colors.
Exactly what I needed for my project and will do more business here!!!
Wow, super speedy shipping and the tiles were just perfect! My mailman cracked up at your sticker on the outside of the box.....Thanks so much!!!
The colors were as vibrant as pictured..perfect for my mosaic table project. Prompt shipping..would definitely order from TYF again.
This was my second order. Ordering is easy, shipping is timely and tiles arrived on time. They are so beautiful and such fun to work with. I'm already looking for another project so I can use them again!
My only negative is that I didn't realize how small an amount is in one pound. Would recommend buying more than you think you need. Nice variety though.