You may order samples online. Sample must be purchased and shipping charges apply. Please keep in mind sample tiles may vary in color from future orders due to the handmade process.
Tierra handmade and high fired terra-cotta floor tiles are of unparallel quality. The durability and strength of our Tierra terracotta tiles greatly depends on high quality raw materials and its firing processes. We have a very strict quality control in the selection and formulation of the clay that embodies these tiles, along with high firing. Our Tierra Terracotta tiles are fired at temperatures ranging from 1180 to 1200 degrees centigrade, approximately 2100 degrees Fahrenheit. Only high quality raw materials, and careful formulation can withstand such temperatures without cracking or breaking apart in the kiln.
In comparison to Saltillo tiles and mission red tiles, Tierra floor tiles are of superior quality and durability; that is why they are the preferred terra cotta floor tiles by architects, professional builders, and designers. Tierra floor tiles are 100% handcrafted and deliver a stunning and authentic old-world charm with 21st century high quality standards; additionally, they require very little maintenance.
Tierra floor tiles must be sealed in order to preserve their beauty. We recommend the usage of a high quality penetrating sealer such as 511 Impregnator or 511 Porous Plus from Miracle Sealants Company.
511 Porous Plus is a penetrating sealer designed for the protection of the most porous surfaces. 511 Porous Plus forms an invisible barrier that is resistant to moisture and stains while allowing vapor to escape. 511 Porous Plus is not a surface coating and will not alter the natural look. All surfaces are harder and less slippery. Therefore, 511 Porous Plus is highly recommended for all our Mexican terra-cotta floor tiles.
NOTE: Although Tierra y Fuego maintains high standards of quality control, lot variation in size and color may be present from shipment to shipment. There is no guarantee that tiles ordered as add-ons will match those from original orders. This is an intrinsic characteristic in all handcrafted tiles.
How to Order Tile Samples
|You may order samples online or by phone. Sample must be purchased and shipping charges apply. When ordering samples please keep in mind there is no guarantee tile samples will match future orders do to the handmade process.|
|Size||Due to handmade nature, tiles may vary by up to 1/4 in.|
|Tiles per Square Foot||
** The following is an estimate number of tiles you will need per square foot. The amount of tiles needed per square foot varies according to tile size and shape. This is a courtesy estimate and we recommend to double check measurements and tile quantities with your tile expert installer as you may need additional pieces to account for cuts and breakage.
|Body||Red body bisque, they are flat but still have mild variation on contour. Compare to our Saltillo and Mission Red floor tile, Tierra floor tiles are of superior quality and durability. Tierra floor tile are fired at temperatures ranging from 1180 to 1200 degrees centigrade. Tierra floor tile is considered high resistant with a very dense body and are almost non-absorbent.|
|Tile Thickness||Tierra floor tile has a ½ in. thickness. Larger and smaller tiles vary in thickness accordingly.|
|Applications||Suitable for all interiors and exteriors of residential and commercial applications. Floors and wall applications, such as showers, fountains, backsplash, countertops, stairs, and pool areas. We recommend applying a penetrating sealer which forms an invisible barrier that is resistant to moisture and stains while allowing vapor to escape. Outdoor use is temperate climate only. Tierra Decorative floor are NOT Frost proof.|
|Recommended Grout Width||¼ in. grout line suggested. For further advice, contact your professional tile installer.|
|Recommended Grout Type||Use sanded grout. We recommend to seal tiles and grout lines with a high penetrating sealer.|
|Color, Size and Design Variation||Slight variations in color and shape are expected for all Tierra floor tiles. All Tierra floor tiles will vary in color ranging from natural earth tones of reds and oranges. This color variation depends on the clay and the placement in the kiln at the time of firing.|
|Customers should request a sample before making a final selection or purchase.|
|Lot variation in size and color may be present from shipment to shipment. There is no guarantee that tiles ordered as add-ons will match those from the original orders.|
|Installation Recommendations||Tierra y Fuego strongly recommends consulting an experienced licensed contractor for the installation of Tierra floor tiles. Lay out material prior to installation to properly blend and balance color. Due to size and color variation, we recommend to shuffle thru several boxes before installation. The application of a penetrating sealer is recommended in accordance with the sealer manufacturer’s instructions to further enhance the durability of the tile. Note: Always perform a sample test on an inconspicuous area, before applying the sealer on an entire tiled surface.|
|Further Installation Details||Tierra Tile Installation
The successful installation of terra cotta tiles is highly affected by the installation process. Tierra y Fuego strongly recommends hiring or consulting a skilled professional tile installer, even for small projects. Tierra y Fuego is not liable for tile that has been altered from its original state due to improper handling during the installation process. Inspect the tile prior to installation as installation signifies acceptance.
For a successful installation of Tierra tiles, please take note of the following recommendations:
• Carefully choose a skilled tile installer.
• Properly blend all tiles prior to installation.
• Make sure the installer is informed of all the procedures and products; and carefully follows the manufacturer’s instructions of any solutions such as sealers, grout releases, and cleaners that may be used or come in contact with the tile during the installation process.
• Seal tiles with a penetrating sealer of your choice prior to grouting. We recommend 511 Impregnator Sealer from Miracle Sealants Company for the most porous surfaces such as terra cotta tiles.
• Apply a grout release (like Aqua Mix’s) before grouting following the manufacturer’s instructions; this process helps to protect textured surfaces, and reduce grout staining.
• One important consideration as part of the tile selection process is the color of the grout. Depending on the desired final overall look, there are three basic approaches to selecting the grout color: matching, contrasting, and neutral. Grout will affect the product’s final appearance.
• Use sanded grout. Premixed epoxy grout is NOT recommended due to its viscosity.
• After the grout has dried completely, if need it, clean tiles with Grout Haze Clean-up from Aqua Mix.
• Allow the entire tiled area to dry completely. Depending on environmental climate, it will typically take 24 hours to dry.
• After the installation has been completed, seal the entire area once again with a penetrating sealer.
• If desired and further protect the tile we recommend the use of High Gloss Finish Sealer from Miracle Sealants Company. This surface sealer enhances color while providing resistance to chemicals, stains and dirt.
• As part of a normal maintenance procedure, terra cotta floor tile requires re-sealing on a regular basis.
• Note: Always test a small sample tile with the solutions that might be used during installation before applying to an entire area.
This guide is intended to provide information on frequently asked questions. Opinions vary in the ceramic tile industry about the proper installation of ceramic and terra cotta tiles. However, since Tierra y Fuego tiles are porous they should be sealed with a penetrating sealer before and after grouting.
|Care Recommendations||For routine maintenance immediately clean any spills. Damp mop floor tile with a neutral PH cleanser, and water, as needed. Never use abrasive cleaners, acids or bleaches.|
|NOTE||Quantities, other than samples, will be shipped via a freight company. We will contact you via e-mail or telephone with an accurate shipping cost.|
|Since Tierra Floor is high fire, has a stronger body, better resistance to stains, and lower porosity it is an excellent choice for your building or remodeling project.|
|How Much Extra Tile to Order||Industry standard recommends adding on 5-10% additional tile to the tile needed to account for waste, special cuts, or other unforeseen problems. This is particularly important in complex installations. Specially with diagonal patterns.|
I put this in my newly remodeled kitchen as the backsplash, interspersed with solid color tile in the same brown. It is gorgeous. I sealed it before and afterwards. I used a terra-cotta colored grout. Fantastic! I have always found the best tiles here! There are even more choices at their location in San Diego. Wish they would allow photo uploads. LOVE my tiles!