A pound of broken Talavera tiles covers an area of approximately 0.33 sqf.
Talavera tiles are NOT frost resistant, they should not be used on outdoor installations with potential freezing temperatures.
Tile Art Motifs by Ed Douglas
Mexico is world reknown for its skillful artisans in a wide variety of fields. Mexican writer Alberto Ruy Sanchez Lacy called Mexican tile a "chosen skin". Tiles have embellished numerous public and private spaces thoughout Mexico. A glimpse anywhere in Mexico, particularly in the central states, shows the widespread use of talavera tiles decorating a broad range of spaces from kitchens, fountains, facades, interiors of luxurious hacienda homes to churches. It is through traditional artifacts, such as handcrafted tiles, that one can perceive an artisan’s sensibility, and creativity. Handcrafted ceramic tile is a rooted cultural heritage in Mexico, since its practice of making it began in the late sixteenth century, around 1570 and 1573. Mexican ceramic tiles have actively played a distinguished role as an important utilitarian and decorative element in Mexican architecture.
Mexican tile is functional, beautiful, and practical, it provides a long lasting wall or surface that is easy to care and maintain. You can install Mexican tiles in virtually any area you want to enjoy their warm and beauty.
The tiles are made from clay dug out of the ground and fired to a temperature at which the clay undergoes chemical changes and becomes permanently hard. Then the tile is glazed and decorated by hand, and fired once again to give it its final and lively finish. Its physical characteristics make Mexican tiles particularly attractive and distinctive. Mexican tiles are concave (not perfectly flat). They are characterized as unique, irregular, functional, and expressive.
• All interiors of residential and commercial wall applications.
• Light-use residential flooring as accents or as a border to define an area.
• Outdoor use in areas where freezing temperatures are not common. Tiles are not frost proof.
• Moist areas where tiles are not submerged in water.
• Tiles and grout must be sealed with a penetrating sealer that will form an invisible barrier resistant to moisture and stains.
• Outdoor use is subject to climate conditions and method of installation.
• Not recommended on outdoor installations with potential freezing temperatures.
|Pounds per Square foot||
|Care and Considerations||• Clean with mild cleanser and damp cloth, do not use abrasive cleaners.|
• Some glazes such as matte colors are acid sensitive. Do not use cleaners with an acid base since these may cause discoloration.
• Note: Some tiles may not be broken. We sell them as material appropiate to break since they may have chipped corners or they may come from an odd batch. Colors and variety of broken tile will vary upon availability.
|Installation||• For Installation Recommendations refer to our Installation Guide|
The product is such a great quality. Vibrant colors and obviously skillfully hand made! I can't wait to start my project!
Received a variety of colors in large pieces. We were then able to break them into smaller pieces for our mosaic. It was beautiful. The tiles came on time. Great company.
Love the tile. Will order more in the near future for another project.
Service was excellent! Pieces were excellent variety of sizes and shapes and in many colors. Ordered several bags and expected near equal amounts of each color this way. That was not the case. Only two red and two light green pieces total.
Beautiful pieces. Great colors.
Nice bright clear colors, love the red and blue !
The tile pieces are perfect for our townpark mosaic. The colors are very vivid and a good variety. I can't wait to install them.
YAY! My tiles have arrived!! They are quite perfect and I'll be ordering more soon! Thank you so much!
Love the colors, cant wait to use them.
I did not know what to expect but the colors were perfect for the project I was doing. Thanks a bunch and I will be shopping with you again.